Okahandja,derived from Otjiherero language meaning ” the place where the two rivers, Okakango and the Okamita, flow into each other to form one wide one
1800 : Namadic Heroros searching for better grazing land arrived in Okahandja under the leadership of chiefs Tjamuaha and Kahitjene
1827: Okahandja was renamed ‘Schmelenverwachtung’ by first German Pastor called Heinrich Schmelen.
1830: Chiefs Tjamuaha and Kahitjene elabished themselves in Okahandja
1844: Okahandja is mentioned first time in History books when Rhenish Mission sent two missionaries, Hugo Han and Heinrich Kleinschmidt to do some church work.
1846: Gross Barmen centre was established after a hot spring was found
1850: August 23 is known as Bloodbath of Okahandja . Nama and Herero people caught each other at a place called Moordkoppie .
1854: Jonker Afrikaaner moved to Okahandja where he later died.
1870: Rhenish Missionaries established the first school in Okahandja
1892: Wecke & Voigt business was established
1894: June 25th known as the official establishment date of Okahandja when Governor Leutwein established a Military station.
1895: Postal service was established by making use of camels
1896: First postoffice was established
1904: January 12th marks the Herero uprising against German Colonial occupation
1905: The former Rhenish mission school was reopened as Augustineum Training college on 9th November
1906: first Town Mayor Dr. Fock appointed
1907: Tobacco research station was established
1909: First Railway station was established
1932: Present Swimming pool was established
1940: The zoo park as a central place for all to observe various caged animals was originally opened.
1948 : South west Creamery became one of the biggest factories to be established
1952: Present Municipal Building were constructed
1962: The current Okahandja coat of arms was revised to reflect the unique vegetation encompassing the town hence the Garden town
1970: Von bach Dam was constructed and became the largest water supplies and purification centre to Okahandja and surrounding towns as far as Windhoek , It was completed in 1973
1979: Biggest factory of chair , desk and bed supplying mainly the government was reopened in Okahandja
1982: The official registration of all settlers at Otjiiwa farm.
1992: Josephat Tjinae , a school teacher by profession was elected as the first black Mayor of Okahandja.